The Google Impact Challenge is the first impact Challenge in Africa and it is set to kick off in Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa. According to Google, they are committing $2m worth of grant funding to non-profits organizations in Nigeria that are innovating using technology to reach their goals. Four Non-profit organizations stand to win $250,000, while 8 runner-ups will each get %125,000. Asides from the monetary benefits, you will also guidance, technical assistance, and mentorship from Google, which they are free to take up should they so choose.
- You need to have an idea of how you can make your community–and beyond–an even better place — you can take a cue from other other Google Impact Challenges around like the smart cameras for wildlife conservation, solar lights for off-grid communities and mobile application that helps to protect women from domestic violence.
- You must ensure you are a registered Nigerian nonprofit or business at the time the application is submitted.
- If you meet these criteria, you can apply by clicking HERE.
- Google and partners will review applications and select 12 finalists.
- The public will have three weeks to vote for their favorite idea.
- All 12 finalists will be invited to pitch their ideas to the panel of Judges at a final event.
- The Judges will then select three Challenge winners from these finalists, and also announce the people’s choice winner.
- And the rewards would be awarded!
As for the judges, they are no strangers — you have Google’s Juliet Ehiamon, MI Abaga, Kanu Nwankwo and others.
Why does this matter?
According to Google, many African innovators are doing great work with real impact and Google is keen to shine a light on their work, and also give a financial boost to their projects and ideas. They believe technology can help local and national organizations to better reach their goals and solve some of the continent’s most pressing challenges, and Google is eager to provide support to individuals and organizations using technology in new ways to make a positive difference.
When will this end?
The Google Impact Challenge Nigeria officially launches today and you have only 42 days to apply.
While the final winner selection/award ceremonies will be held during the week of November 26th in Lagos, Johannesburg, and Nairobi.